Saturday, December 18, 2010

Losing a link to the past: Guy Krueger has many fond memories of AU's Miller Hall


By IRV OSLIN

T-G Staff Writer

Life seemed to come full-circle for Guy Krueger as he witnessed the demolition of Miller Hall this week. Through most of his 40-year career at Ashland University his office was on the second floor of the building.

"The big machine started tearing into my office," Krueger said. "I glanced down and it was poignant -- it was such a strange feeling because I realized I was standing on the same spot in 1952 when I watched Founders Hall burn to the ground. It was tough."

Krueger, 79, was a student when Founders Hall burned down. It was the beginning of a lifelong affiliation with the institution -- 46 years counting his years as a student at what was then Ashland College.

Watching Miller Hall come down triggered plenty of memories of his student years and the decades he spent there working as admissions director.

When the original Founder's Hall caught fire in the early morning hours of Oct. 20, 1952, Krueger was living at his aunt's house on Chestnut Street.

"I saw the glow and thought that had to be something at the college," he said. "I ran up to the college and went up the walk. They (the firefighters) couldn't get water up high enough. That really kind of hit me."

Krueger, who majored in business administration with minors in marketing and psychology, graduated in 1955. His wife, the late Betty J. Krueger, graduated two years later. While she was finishing her college education, he still maintained a presence on campus on weekends.

He worked in Wellington after graduation, but wanted to come back to his hometown.

"The best thing that happened to me is seeing how things were someplace else," Krueger said.

In 1958, Krueger seized an opportunity to return. He was hired as assistant admissions director of Ashland College. About four or five years later, he was named admissions director.

His office originally was in the new Founders Hall. In the mid 1960s, he moved into an office on the northwest corner of the second floor of Miller Hall.

"Of all the offices I ever had, that was my favorite," Krueger said.

The building originally housed the library and classrooms, including the chemistry and science department.

To make way for the admissions department in the 1960s, a classroom along the west side of the building was converted into a reception area, with a hole cut into the wall linking it to admissions offices. Krueger recalled that the wall was so thick, the workers had a difficult time making a hole for the door.

He was impressed with the job Gib Rogers of Gilbert's Furniture did carpeting and furnishing the reception area -- often the first place prospective students and their parents would come when visiting the campus.

"I think he did it gratis," Krueger said. "At the time, it was really a showcase."

Raymond Bixler chaired the history department and had an office on the south end of the building. Krueger recalled that Bixler's brother, Paul, was an assistant coach with the Cleveland Browns and got him tickets to the 1964 championship game against the Baltimore Colts, which the Browns won 27-0.

"There are a lot of really good memories about that building," Krueger said.

During his tenure there, he worked with James Ganyer and the late George Valentine, who served as admissions counselors. Ganyer's father owned a clothing store in Ashland. Valentine went on to be a teacher, coaching legend and accomplished golfer and golf coach.

Krueger and Valentine often traveled to Columbus on recruiting trips.

"We were very good friends," Krueger said.

He also recalled feeding the squirrels outside his office window. They would climb up the vines on the building for corn cobs Krueger put out for them.

"I'd turn around and look at the window and there would be a humongous squirrel sitting there," he said "They were really tame."

AU President Frederick Finks told him that, when the cupola was removed from the building, squirrels scattered in every direction. Apparently they had been nesting there.

Krueger's son, Kurt Krueger, who works on the grounds at the university, encouraged him to come witness the demolition of Miller Hall.

Krueger is glad he did.

"It was a rather sad thing as far as I'm concerned; I was associated with that place for 46 years," he said. "I thought somebody who cared ought to be there when that building came down."

He acknowledged that the cost of renovating Miller Hall would have been prohibitive.

"I realize it had to come down, but it was really sad," Krueger said. "It's kind of like closing another chapter in the history of AU; it's my last link to Ashland College."

n Irv Oslin can be reached at 419-281-0581 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 419-281-0581 end_of_the_skype_highlighting ext. 240 or at ioslin@times-gazette.com.







Comments
By Posting to this site, you agree to our Terms of Service Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed. Times-Gazette.com doesn't necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post.

Login above or Register to comment.
3 Total Comments
3. Posted by LONEY about 20 hours ago
Being a business ed major, a majority of my classes were either in Miller Hall or Bixler Hall. I, too, have a great many fond memories of classes and meetings in Miller Hall and will miss seeing it when I come back to Ashland for visits.



2. Posted by pnmatia1 December 17, 2010
I stopped to pay my respects, too. A sad good-bye.



1. Posted by nwasen1 December 17, 2010
Nice to see that Mr. Krueger was there to bid adieu to this old building. I am sure it had to be a bittersweet day for him.

3 comments:

  1. I screwed up one of the names in the article. I misspelled Jim Ganyard's name. Apologies to him and those who value Ashland history.

    BTW - I am transcribing the text of the full interview with Guy, which includes a lot of inside baseball, as it were, on local history.

    I can make this available on request.

    I thoroughly enjoyed talking with him - reminded me of my own father in some ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a difficult job you have Irv to get everything correct and on relatively short deadlines. It's a great story though!

    I'd love to be able to post the interview or I can even ask the Center Street Historic District to post it on their city research page. If you have the interview in mp3 type format I could see about posting that for people to listen to as well. I know their are transcripts of 1/2 a dozen interviews there. http://www.centerstreethistoricdistrict.org/researchinformation.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, the interview wasn't recorded. I could put together a transcript from my notes.

    I plan to do more of this sort of thing in the future and those will be recorded.

    ReplyDelete